The holidays are such a beautiful time of year, filled with happy anticipation and joyous reunions with family and friends you haven't seen for a while. This time of year can be especially hazardous for our four legged pets so it’s our job to keep them safe. Help your pets celebrate the season safely at home or in our Surfside Beach homes by protecting them from holiday hazards:
* Mistletoe, holly, poinsettias and Christmas lilies are all toxic to pets when ingested. When using holiday plants to decorate your dining table, move them to a location where pets can't reach them between mealtimes.
* Tape down the electrical cords for holiday lights to prevent pets chewing on them. Unplug tree lights before leaving home.
* Secure your Christmas tree to the wall or ceiling to keep it from falling on pets. Don't let pets drink water from the tree holder.
* Keep tinsel and other ornaments well out range of pets. Cats in particular like to play with tinsel, and some will eat it, which can block intestines. Pets can mistake ornaments for toy balls to pets, and shards from broken glass ornaments can cause injury to mouths and paws.
* To reduce stress, maintain your pets' routines. While vacationing in our Surfside Beach homes walk your dog as you always do. Serve their meals at regular times. Make sure fresh water is always available for them.
* Remember that holiday foods that are fine for people can make pets seriously ill. Macadamia nuts can cause muscular weakness, depression, vomiting, disorientation, tremors, abdominal pain and muscle stiffness in dogs. Chocolate can be fatal; ingesting as little as 1/4 ounce can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity and increase thirst, urination and heart rate.
We have a few Surfside Beach homes for you to stay in with your pets while visiting the area. We hope everyone is having a safe and enjoyable holiday this year!